Sunday, March 28, 2010

Something happened.

Sunday has just passed.
I partook in the next installment of Varietease. This event was to raise money for a very worthy organisation that raises money for women in war torn countries to well, basically live a life they deserve.
At first i believed that i almost shouldn't have been apart of this event. Being so young it almost made me feel that i have yet to understand the power and understanding that went into the statements that were intending to be sent across to viewers.
A talented woman named Hannah Morgaine gave a speech closer to the end of the show. Her speech reminded me of the importance of what myself and other woman were doing that day. Her words were powerful and eye opening, and i can proudly say that i was one of the women she was speaking for on behalf.

I did my act. I was not proud of it but i did it. I guess i will leave it at that.
By the end of the show all i cared about was what i had witnessed in Iskra Valentine's Performance.
Iskra was born and grew up in Pakistan until she moved to Australia in 2003. Her performance was about Honor killings that Occur in Pakistan and to acknowledge and protest against these barbaric acts of violence against women.
Never doubting the talent that Iskra possesses, i knew that i was in for something good anyway.
But i will say this,
I have never, ever been so incredibly moved in my life. To the point where the only thing i could do was clap as the tears swelled in my eyes. I am still speechless. Perhaps when i finally can gather the words to explain just how important and powerful her performance was, i will repost this blog.

I don't think i can say anything else, besides that i know some incredible, incredible women; and that there is so much we can do in this world. Thank you.

http://www.thedollrag.com/2010/03/la-roux-mental-illness-and-leaving-no.html

No comments:

Post a Comment