Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Oh Imelda May!


Last night i was fortunate enough to experience the greatness that is Imelda May.
I didn't actually know she was even coming until last Saturday so i was pretty lucky to grab myself a ticket and head down to the Flyby Night club in Fremantle.
There was a lot of friendly faces that i knew and we were all very eager to see what Imelda had install for us.
I gotta admit, i didn't really like the support band. I thought it was a little strange to have someone support who's genre was totally different to the main act to the point where you would expect a lot of people not to enjoy it, but oh well. They weren't bad, just not my cup of tea.

But then there she was, in all her glory. It's the first time i have seen Imelda May live and i am still utterly amazed. She was incredible. So clean and so bad ass! I was lucky enough to grab a dance with a swell guy and then twisted the rest of the gig away with my lovely friends.

Dublin born Imelda has a real Rhythm and blues kind of sound to her. Touching on rockabilly from time to time. Her voice is incredibly powerful and totally sexy. I can happily say i was swoonin' over her for most of the gig. One song in particular she did was beautiful. She told us a story about how she knew a woman who had been happily married ever since she was 16. who talked to her husband every single day despite the fact he had died a couple of years ago. Saying that even though no one could see him, perhaps he really was there. This tied into the next song called Knock 1 23. It tells of someone secretly meeting with their lover and being engrossed in their love. It was magical! the trumpet simply made me melt.

She had us swinging away for a little bit more then finished with a brilliant cover of My Baby Left Me and Tainted Love. If it wasn't for the the huge amount of energy that her and her band were expelling i think the whole crowd would have been dead from dancing so much.

I really hope to see her again some time. It is so refreshing to see real talent and entertainment. You can never get enough of rhythm and blues!

No comments:

Post a Comment