Thursday, September 3, 2009

In the eye of the beholder.

When i was much younger, my family owned a business.
It was fairly easy then. We had many things that made us very comfortable.
My granddad and grandmother owned a boat, called Front Runner. We would take that boat all the way to Rottnest; my granddad driving, at least 2 times a year. That boat was my granddad's escape. He loved it.
Then one day, We lost that business. We lost our luxuries. And then, my granddad lost his boat. I think he didn't care that they took anything; but not his boat.
Although that was a long time ago now, and we have all seemed to start again. My grandmother still bringing up the subject once in a while, but never my granddad. He just pushed through these years with nothing to say.

Today he came to me, asked me to photocopy a document. There was about 6 pages and they were pink. I held them in my hands waiting to hearwhat someone had to say to me, as my eyes secretly drifted on to the page.
"Renewal of dock, Council of Rottnest Island"
Signed and paid for, my granddad had paid for the dock of a boat he no longer has, and has been ever since he lost it.

My heart sank. I never ever have thought about my granddad as having such a sad tendency like that. He has always been the very formal man, who sits at his desk on the weekends; writing important things he needs to do. Plans must be followed. There is no time to be upset.
They took his boat. And the only thing that still makes him feel like he owns it, is to pay for an empty dock that once held probably the only thing he loved. I don't think i have felt that sad in a long time like i did when i realised it all.

And now only today, when i looked over at him sitting in his desk; i saw an old man. A sad old man who has spent his whole life trying to hold on to things he loved, really only to have them taken away. Today was the first day i really got to see what he was like under his suit and tie. I can hear that small break in his voice now. And now i love him even more.

6 comments:

  1. demelza would really like this, send her the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad. I sometimes feel like that with certain people I meet. There's that quiet desperation that you just see, and it breaks your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a sad tale.

    Karma does exist, and 'you know who' won't be parading in that beautiful blue automobile for his entire life.

    Much Love,
    Shi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a sad yet beautiful post. i wish your grandpa all the best

    ReplyDelete